Can I, an ordinary girl, really be called to do extraordinary things?

Thursday, January 5, 2012

God is my "Help", my refuge,and my strength

Yes im back, I know you missed me. Ive decided if there is anything this blog is good for, its getting out some of the raging thoughts that flow through my head on a daily basis. Ive recently started a new journey in my life (which I can't decide if Im going to blog about) and im interested in seeing just how much it changes me. I thought about journaling it so I can go back and read about it to see how far ive come once I get better (because I will get better). Then I remembered this blog that I created long ago with the intentions of using, and decided it might be a good idea to share this journey with anyone who might come across my blog while they are bored and cant seem to stop hitting the "next blog" button. You never know who it could inspire right? And Ive always said if i can change at least one persons life, its worth it.
Anyway, with a new year comes alot of new opportunities. I will close another chapter in my life this year but more importantly I will START a new one. Ive been in school since I was 4 and while May will only bring about 1 degree of the hopefully 3 I will receive in life, I havent felt this good about anything in a while. I think nursing will open up my world to countless opportunities. I want to travel, I always have, so the opportunity to be a travel nurse seems so attractive. I still want to go to Africa and I plan to. I worked with a nurse back before the semester ended in the oncology outpatient unit. Ive worked with her several times and shes one of my favorites, its been a great experience everyt time. She told me about her recent trip to Africa with her church. She treated people for asthma, colds, and even one teenage boy for an STD. All while ministering to this child that God still loved him through his bad choices. I cant imagine a greater joy. I get cold chills just thinking about it. I pray I get that opportunity, but if not I will follow God and live out his word anyway he chooses for me to do so.
I recently finsihed a novel in less than 2 weeks time which is unheard of for me. After reading chapters and chapters everyday for nursing school, I vowed not to pick up a book all Christmas break. But I cracked and decided to read The Help. Ive heard good things and I adore the movie. Im simply not a big reader but this book was hard to put down. Not only is it crazy inspiring but it taught me about life. I seem to turn everything into something corny and its annoying I know. But as I found myself being eager to turn every page and read on, I wondered "why can't life be like this". That story makes you happy, sad, and want to punch Hilly Holbrook (yes she has my last name unfortunately) sometimes all on the same page. But you still want to read on because its just THAT good. Well, life is exactly like that. Just like in the pages of this book, we encounter an array of emotions each day but theres no reason why we cant survive it and turn the page and wait for what life has in store for tomorrow.I could have easily put down that book when I read a line I didnt like, I could have looked at it negatively and thought "Why would I want to read a depressing book?" But I chose to continue reading and im glad I did. I really do believe life has happy endings. Sometimes its hard to keep going, but God never promised life would be easy. He just promised life, and the least we can do is keep living it. We will encounter struggles in life, yes. But just like the ladies in the book, we will face them, get through them, and keep going. Each day brings about something new and today is just as good a day as any to start smiling again, or start smiling for the first time. Trust me, I need to heard this just as much as you.

No comments:

Post a Comment